Benefits of Ayat Kareema
In the name of Allah the Most Beneficent, The most Merciful ! The famous dua which is known as Tasbi E Yunus – La ilaha illa anta, Subhanaka, Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin (There is none worthy of Worship besides You, You are far exalted and above all weaknesses, Surely, I’ am from among the wrongdoers) that was recited by Hazrat Yunus AS inside the belly of the fish/whale is described in Surah Al-Anbiya (21) verses 87 and 88 as follows: “And remember Zun-nun, when he departed in wrath: He imagined that We had no power over him! But he cried through the depths of darkness, There is no god but thou: glory to thee: I was indeed wrong! So We listened to him: and delivered him from distress: and thus do We deliver those who have faith.”[21: 87-88]
Word of Caution: Many people recite Tasbi Yunus incorrectly as “Inni kuntum” instead of “Inni kuntu”.
Incorrect: La ilaha illa anta, Subhanaka, Inni kuntum minaz-zalimin
Correct: La ilaha illa anta, Subhanaka, Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin
This dua / tasbi is very beneficial and virtuous as it includes three important and essential acts prescribed in Islam
1. Expression of Tauheed(Oneness of Allah) in La ilaha illa anta[There is none worthy of Worship besides You]: There are various hadith that explain the virtues and benefits of this expression, we get to know that, all messengers beginning from Adam AS to our last Prophet SAW were sent to this world with the common message of ‘Kalima Tauheed’, it is this kalimah that is the means of salvation for us in this world and the hereafter, it is only though this Kalima that we would qualify for the intercession of our Prophet SAW in the hereafter, it is through this Kalima we get freedom from punishments and hardships of the hereafter, it is this Kalima that is key to all the doors of Paradise, it is this Kalima that overweight’s all the deeds on the Scale of deeds, it is through this Kalimah we would be granted the blessed vision of Allah in the hereafter, it is this Kalimah that is declared as the best Zikar of Allah, it is this Kalima that reaches Allah directly without any barriers, it is this Kalimah that strengthens our faith and free’s us from the greatest sin of shirk and no Muslim is a Muslim without understanding and proclaiming this expression, therefore, from this we get to know the high benefits and virtues associated with this expression.
2. Glorification of Allah in Subhanaka[You are far exalted and above all weaknesses]: Again there are several benefits of reciting this expression, some that have been mentioned in hadith are: “Subhanallaah” is one of Allah’s dearest words, it is from the words that Allah has chosen for His angels, for every recitation a tree is planted in paradise, this word fills half the scale of deeds, for every letter contained in the expression about 10 virtues are recorded, the reward of one recitation is more than Mount Uhud, for every recitation 20 virtues are recorded and 20 sins are erased, there are mentioned as every lasting deeds and with its recitation, the sins fall like leaves fall from trees. These benefits derived from few hadith are sufficient to explain the high status of this expression in the sight of Allah SWT.
3. Seeking Forgiveness in Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin[Surely, I’ am from among the wrongdoers] compromises an acknowledgment of sin, which in turn includes a humble request of forgiveness. Allah declares in the Quran that “Surely Allah loves those who turn unto him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves.”[2:222] and definitely, the people who Allah loves would be the ones who would be blessed with his Mercy, Kindness and Peace. This fact is also confirmed by our Propher[SAW] in one of traditions narrated by Ibn `Abbas (RA) in which he reported: The Prophet of Allah (SAW) said, ‘If anyone constantly seeks pardon (from Allah), Allah will appoint for him a way out of every distress and relief him from every anxiety, and will provide sustenance for him from where he expects not.’[Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah and Ahmad]. Few other benefits of seeking forgiveness are highlighted in Surah Nuh (71) verses 10 to 12 in which Allah says” Saying: Ask forgiveness from your Lord; for He is Oft-Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance; Give you increase in wealth and sons; and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers (of flowing water)”. From this we can conclude that, the act of seeking forgiveness is vital and essential to overcome distress and for achieve great success in both the worlds.
The benefits of reciting Tasbi E Yunus is highlighted in the following hadith:
1. Sa’d Ibne Malik RA narates: I heard Prophet SAW Saying: Should I not inform you of Allah’s Greatest Name (Isme Azam) when dua is invoked with it, it is accepted and what is asked for thought it is given? This is the supplication through which Yunus AS called Allah from within three darkness. This is as under:La ilaha illa anta,Subhanaka,Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin (There is no god but You, You are far exalted and above all weaknesses, and I was indeed the wrongdoer). A man asked: O Rasulullah, Is this dua special for Yunus AS or for all the believers? Prophet SAW said: Have you not heard the words of Allah(in the Quran):”And We delivered Yunus(AS) of his distress, thus We grant deliverance to all believers[Quran]”. Rasulullah SAW said: When any Muslim makes dua with these words during his illness 40 times and then, if he dies of that disease, he is granted the reward of a martyr and if he recovers from that disease, then all his sins are forgiven. [Mustadrak Hakim]
2. Sa’d ibn Waqas (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW) said, “The supplication made by the Companion of the Fish (Prophet Yunus (as)) in the belly of the fish was (the above). If any Muslim supplicates in these words, his supplication will be accepted/responded to.” In another report, Prophet[SAW] says “I know words that will cause Allah to remove one’s distress. These are the words (of supplication) of my brother Yunus[AS] “[at-Tirmidhi; an-Nisa’I, al-Hakim]
Method of recitation: To solve any problem or to overcome any difficulty, after making a common intention, this dua (Tasbi E Yunus) should be recited continuously at any time as much as possible, till the problem is resolved.
If a person is suffering from blackmagic, spells, jinn or any sickness/disease and dosen’t know what to do and has no one to help him, such a person should daily after every obligatory salaat/prayers place his hand over the chest and recite- ‘A-oo-zo-billaah,‘A-oo-zo-billaah,‘A-oo-zo-billaah Be Haqqe La ilaha illa anta, Subhanaka, Inni kuntu minaz-zalimin – 40x and then blow it on his chest 3x and then over his hands 3x and he should sweep his hands all over the body from head to toe, inshaAllah this will not only strengthen his faith but will also create a protective shield around the body and cure the magic and the sickness.